Betta-Paradise
The Admin & Moderators would like to welcome you to

Betta Paradise

If you like what you see, please feel free to register

to enjoy the many other sections in the members

areas

Including Betta Health, Showcase, General fishtank

&

Sales
Links

TheReefTank
proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!




Vote for us!


BannerFans.com





Fish Topsites

Aquarium Rater, how does your Aquarium Website Rate?

Photobucket

Females in a community?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Females in a community?

Post by Nataliey on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:17 am

What type of fish can i put with female bettas in a 95 litre tank? Dont want anything that will nip at the females but dont want anything that will get attacked by females...like iv had neon tetras before with females and the females would attack them and peck their eyes out!

Any ideas anyone?? confused
avatar
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 2656
Points : 3253
Join date : 2010-03-26
Age : 36
Location : Wigan, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Time-Out on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:26 am

Mine live with bloodfins, BNs, picti, angelfish, butterfly fish, flying foxes... I think that's it. Just don't go for guppies. Nasty things.

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Posts : 143
Points : 155
Join date : 2010-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by kizno1 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:01 am

Nataliey wrote:What type of fish can i put with female bettas in a 95 litre tank? Dont want anything that will nip at the females but dont want anything that will get attacked by females...like iv had neon tetras before with females and the females would attack them and peck their eyes out!

Any ideas anyone?? confused

Theres loads
steel blue killis
marble hatchets
ember tetra and pretty much every other type of tetra. Try to stay away from deep bodied ones like black widow tetra because there known for being nippy.
harlequin rasbora
copper rasbora
glowlight rasbora
platys
endlers
pretty much any cory
upside down catfish
banjo catfish
hara hara
sturisoma festivum
Hara jerdoni
two spot catfish
bumblebee catfish
pyjama catfish
The list goes on and on. What sort of fish would you like?

Time-Out wrote:Mine live with bloodfins, BNs, picti, angelfish, butterfly fish, flying foxes... I think that's it. Just don't go for guppies. Nasty things.
Just so you know butterfly fish are predatory so ones that fully grown some of the tetra and maybe evan the bettas might start to dissapear I doubt the angels and the butterfly fish will get on to well ones fully grown aswell and theres a risk both might get nipped by the bloodfin tetra. Whats a picti? pictus?
avatar
kizno1
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4923
Points : 5198
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Time-Out on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:19 am

Thank you for the lesson. Do you have to patronise people every time they mention stock? My tank has been running for ages and works well. Extensive research was done for each species, it wasn't just thrown together. I hope to upgrade them to a 2' by 6' tank next year, bulk out the bloodfin shoal to at least 24 and add a few picti (it may not be the right word, but it's a grammatically correct plural for 'pictus', don't you think?).

Oh and I've had problems with a red tail shark being nippy in the past.

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Posts : 143
Points : 155
Join date : 2010-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by kizno1 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:24 am

I wasnt being patronising i just thought you might want to know. Ive read quite a few reports of butterfly fish eating other fish and bloodfin tetra nipping other fish. It wasnt that i just didnt know if it was a different type of fish that ive never heard of. How big a tank are they in now? pictus need to be in groups of 3+ in a 55+G. Im not going to get into a argument over it i was just letting you know that it might work now but it could turn nasty in the longrun.
avatar
kizno1
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4923
Points : 5198
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Time-Out on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:48 am

You know what? Forget it. I was only trying to help Nat.

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Posts : 143
Points : 155
Join date : 2010-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by kizno1 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:53 am

Time-Out wrote:You know what? Forget it. I was only trying to help Nat.
So was i. I just thought i would let you and her know that putting butterfly fish in with smaller fish is a big risk.
avatar
kizno1
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4923
Points : 5198
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Nataliey on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks to both of you...just asked as i dont know what fish would be best, will look into all the fish mentioned from both of you Smile

avatar
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 2656
Points : 3253
Join date : 2010-03-26
Age : 36
Location : Wigan, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by silverrabbit on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:12 am

I know it's not generally recommended, but I have mine in with platies. Haven't had a prob with them as the platies seem to mind their own business, but I think mollies are a bit too full of attitude for females lol!

I used to have shrimp (biggish ones, at 2 inches) but the females assassinated them Suspect

Rummynose tetras are pretty but don't seem to last very long Sad
avatar
silverrabbit
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2556
Points : 2788
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 31
Location : London, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by kizno1 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:20 am

silverrabbit wrote:I know it's not generally recommended, but I have mine in with platies. Haven't had a prob with them as the platies seem to mind their own business, but I think mollies are a bit too full of attitude for females lol!

I used to have shrimp (biggish ones, at 2 inches) but the females assassinated them Suspect

Rummynose tetras are pretty but don't seem to last very long Sad
I would stay away form male mollys aswell because they will try to mate with anything which i dont think the female bettas would like to much. Rummy nose tetra are normally fairly hardy but they do seem to do best at slightly higher temps 28-32C But anything from 24+ they should be fine in.
avatar
kizno1
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4923
Points : 5198
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Nataliey on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks everyone, have been looking at the pretty endlers, i suppose its just the males that are the really bright coloured ones, but definately no more mollies for me and i know what you mean mollies are way worse than rabbits, lol!

Been looking at plec's too just just getting the right one!
avatar
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 2656
Points : 3253
Join date : 2010-03-26
Age : 36
Location : Wigan, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by silverrabbit on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Some of the plecs are sooooo pretty... but pricey!
avatar
silverrabbit
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2556
Points : 2788
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 31
Location : London, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Nataliey on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:44 pm

silverrabbit wrote:Some of the plecs are sooooo pretty... but pricey!

I know, i paid £20 for a golden nugget plec he/she was gorgeous, but died about 2 weeks of having it due to an attack by a CAE! I wasnt impressed Sad
avatar
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 2656
Points : 3253
Join date : 2010-03-26
Age : 36
Location : Wigan, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by KalandraJane on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Ooh how about a zebra plec? They're beautiful and don't get too big... not sure of the temps though?
avatar
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Posts : 468
Points : 564
Join date : 2010-08-11
Age : 31
Location : Manchester, UK

http://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by kizno1 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:50 pm

KalandraJane wrote:Ooh how about a zebra plec? They're beautiful and don't get too big... not sure of the temps though?
They are stunning but they will cost you about £75 for a juvi and about £100 for a adult. Chocolate zebras arent as nice because there a off white colour but you can normally pic them up for £20-30.
avatar
kizno1
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4923
Points : 5198
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by KalandraJane on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:07 pm

My lfs had the proper black and white zebra juveniles in the other week for £26... they were about 2". Looks like I should have snapped one up at that price!!! Shocked (not that I have anywhere to put one, my boyfriend's albino rainbow shark would not have been happy if we had added one to the community tank!)
avatar
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Posts : 468
Points : 564
Join date : 2010-08-11
Age : 31
Location : Manchester, UK

http://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Nataliey on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:51 am

As iv mentioned before iv got 2 albino corys already in the female betta tank, here's a few photos of them...iv had them over a year now so i would say fully grown?
This is the biggest one of the 2:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This one is a little bit shorter with a fat silvery tummy:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the pair together...9 times out of 10 you'll see them chasing one another and looks sometimes like they are dancing!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looking to getting at least 4 more corys to add to their group.
avatar
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 2656
Points : 3253
Join date : 2010-03-26
Age : 36
Location : Wigan, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by kizno1 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:13 am

KalandraJane wrote:My lfs had the proper black and white zebra juveniles in the other week for £26... they were about 2". Looks like I should have snapped one up at that price!!! Shocked (not that I have anywhere to put one, my boyfriend's albino rainbow shark would not have been happy if we had added one to the community tank!)
Are you sure they where real zebras? if they where that ridiculously cheap. You should have brought a few and had a go at breeding them its apparently not that hard.

Nataliey wrote:As iv mentioned before iv got 2 albino corys already in the female betta tank, here's a few photos of them...iv had them over a year now so i would say fully grown?
This is the biggest one of the 2:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This one is a little bit shorter with a fat silvery tummy:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the pair together...9 times out of 10 you'll see them chasing one another and looks sometimes like they are dancing!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looking to getting at least 4 more corys to add to their group.
The first on is defiantly male. The second looks female but she looks a bit skinny but then that might just he the angle of the pic. I would say you have 1 male 1 female.
avatar
kizno1
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4923
Points : 5198
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by KalandraJane on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 am

kizno1 wrote:
KalandraJane wrote:My lfs had the proper black and white zebra juveniles in the other week for £26... they were about 2". Looks like I should have snapped one up at that price!!! Shocked (not that I have anywhere to put one, my boyfriend's albino rainbow shark would not have been happy if we had added one to the community tank!)
Are you sure they where real zebras? if they where that ridiculously cheap. You should have brought a few and had a go at breeding them its apparently not that hard.

Yes, I'd been researching loaches the night before as I'd wanted a gold ring butterfly sucker (unfortunately too cold to live in a betta tank though so I didn't get one), seen the zebras and how lovely they are, went in the next day and they had them, gorgeous little things. It's a very reputable shop but mainly a marine stockist, maybe they'd had them cheaply from a customer or something, or had them that at price because they were so small. Hehe I can't fit any more tanks into my flat... I'm already having to get rid of half my bedroom so I can fit my new divided betta tank in, I certainly don't have room for pairs of 6" zebras spawning everywhere Smile

Natalie, are you just going to get more corys for your community tank? I love my albinos Smile they're so fun to watch. How about a small shoal of otocinclus or some dwarf chain loaches?
avatar
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Posts : 468
Points : 564
Join date : 2010-08-11
Age : 31
Location : Manchester, UK

http://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by kizno1 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:06 am

KalandraJane wrote:
kizno1 wrote:
KalandraJane wrote:My lfs had the proper black and white zebra juveniles in the other week for £26... they were about 2". Looks like I should have snapped one up at that price!!! Shocked (not that I have anywhere to put one, my boyfriend's albino rainbow shark would not have been happy if we had added one to the community tank!)
Are you sure they where real zebras? if they where that ridiculously cheap. You should have brought a few and had a go at breeding them its apparently not that hard.

Yes, I'd been researching loaches the night before as I'd wanted a gold ring butterfly sucker (unfortunately too cold to live in a betta tank though so I didn't get one), seen the zebras and how lovely they are, went in the next day and they had them, gorgeous little things. It's a very reputable shop but mainly a marine stockist, maybe they'd had them cheaply from a customer or something, or had them that at price because they were so small. Hehe I can't fit any more tanks into my flat... I'm already having to get rid of half my bedroom so I can fit my new divided betta tank in, I certainly don't have room for pairs of 6" zebras spawning everywhere Smile

Natalie, are you just going to get more corys for your community tank? I love my albinos Smile they're so fun to watch. How about a small shoal of otocinclus or some dwarf chain loaches?

I wish i was closer i would have snapped up a few. At 2" they still normally cost £50+. Theres always room for another tank lolJust stack them up ontop of each other :]
avatar
kizno1
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4923
Points : 5198
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Nataliey on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:22 am

Went to a pets @ home today just for a look as i wont buy from them from past bad experience, but i saw a few fish that took my eye...
the Rummy-nose tetras and the Zebra & Leopard Danio. Iv looked on wikipedia about these types of fish and they seem to be okay for a community. What do you think?
avatar
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 2656
Points : 3253
Join date : 2010-03-26
Age : 36
Location : Wigan, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Time-Out on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:32 am

Danios are VERY zippy. I found they stressed my more sedate fish out. How your females react depends on their character. You'll have to assess that. They are one of the most hardy fish around.
Rummy-noses are kept by a lot of aquarists with expensive fish. The red starts to fade if water quality deteriorates, so it's a good fore-warner.
Either would be fine with regards to nipping. Now it's just personal choice :-)

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Posts : 143
Points : 155
Join date : 2010-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Nataliey on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:40 am

Right ok Time-out thanks for that really dont want any fish that may nip fins...mmm maybe a rethink. confused
avatar
Nataliey
Feathertail
Feathertail

Posts : 2656
Points : 3253
Join date : 2010-03-26
Age : 36
Location : Wigan, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by KalandraJane on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 am

I really dislike danios... in my experience they do fin nip, though you may not find that. In my boyfriend's community tank there are a couple of zebra danios which have long fins, which is a common mutation in them. The other danios are always taking chunks out of the long-finned ones, and have had a go at juvenile swordtails too.

Also, they swim constantly and boisterously at the surface, so you'd have to assess whether that might stress your girls. The tetras sound good though Smile
avatar
KalandraJane
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Posts : 468
Points : 564
Join date : 2010-08-11
Age : 31
Location : Manchester, UK

http://www.facebook.com/kalandrajanedesigns

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by kizno1 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:07 am

Like time out said the danios are zippy and can be a little nippy. They also do best at slightly cooler temps. Rummy nose tetra should be fine they do better at higher temps 26+. If your looking for something colour full ember tetra, galaxy rasbora, harlequin rasbora or black neons would all work well.
avatar
kizno1
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4923
Points : 5198
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Females in a community?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum