proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

BannerFans.com

Fish Topsites

Aquarium Rater, how does your Aquarium Website Rate?

Photobucket

tankmate suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tankmate suggestions

Post by elliriyanna on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:04 pm

I rehomed my goldfish and now have my tank up and running. Tested the water and everything is coming along great I have a ten gallon that will be Tatsu's undivided tank. With his personality I can keep things with him ... tested him with a guppy and he didn't even attack her.

Maybe Otto cats or dwarf corys? Any suggestions will be researched just to be sure. I also have tons of hiding places and plants and a well aerated and maintained tank. I added a few ghost shrimp in just to clean up the ammonia has come down to about .1 ppm which i was told was safe for them

I will not be getting anything else until I am settled into the dorm Tatsu is doing great and just a little longer and he will be in his big tank
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Re: tankmate suggestions

Post by Time-Out on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:11 am

Are we talking in UK gallons? If so, that's 45L, so you could add 6 pygmy cories and a shoal of small fish, like 6-8 neon tetras. It depends what you want to do for colour and what suits your water. With a shoal like that, though, it will make your betta the centrepiece. Maybe a small fish that's more dull in colour would do better, but as i said, it depends on your ideas for colour.

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:35 am

well the tank has a very natural set up and my male is very bright red. Every other fish I would be getting would be cute but earthy tones like the otto cats and maybe ADF's

US gallons BTW

And currently in it is two ghost shrimp and two female guppies. Tatsu will be added soon and then I was planning on getting one otto cat and a few months down the road getting two ADF's. Tatsu will be the centerpiece still though since he definetly catches your eye
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:52 am

Ottos need to be kept in groups and need lots of algae and will often starve to death in small tank IMO they need 20G+ well planted tanks to thrive. Cherry shimp or a small shoal of ember tetra or galaxy rasbora would work.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 am

As much as I love tetras they just don't fit with the theme of this tank. I could get algae wafers for the little guy if I get one. I could get two so I'd have a pair ..., or I could get cories. And in a few months after I see how he does with the tank mates when he's added to the tank would getting two ADF's be fine? I love frogs lol ... Though I don't think m$y college allows them Sad

If they don't I only want bottom feeders since they will pretty much stay out of Tatsu's way
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:12 am

They need to be in groups of 3 plus and i really wouldnt keep them in a tank that size. sometimes it does work but 90% of the time they starve to death. Corys would be alot better option IMO. There might be a problem with any bottom dwellers with the ADFs. ADF are really slow feeding and need it placed infront of them where as corys will eat anything in seconds so if you do have both you need to make sure the adf are getting food. I would try 1 ADF to start with.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:22 am

ADF's are social so two would be the minimum you could start with with minimal stress. And I will get a couple dwarf cories maybe. I don't know ... What do you guys think?
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:24 am

Pygmy corys need to be kept in 6+ IMO. You might get away with 6 corys and 2 ADFs but like i said just make sure the adfs are getting food.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:57 am

ok ... I'll see what i'm gonna do ... its hard to choose Sad
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 am

I have a lil Q - what's the correct size tank for a male betta and 6 neon tetras?
Also, will the tetras mean the take will have a lot more maintenance? Do they make a lot of mess? And how often/what do they need to be fed? Smile

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:24 am

Neons need a min of 10ukG IMO. Neons dont make much waste so i dout it will make to much of a difference. Most people feed them daily but quite a few people fast them for 1 day a week. They ill eat flakes, small pellets, granules, live and frozen foods.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 am

Ooh ok Smile I'll have to see if I can make room for a 10g tank, though it seems unlikely with the budget and amount of space I have xD ah well, maybe in a few months Smile Thanks for the info!

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:43 am

Ten gallons are worth it Smile they are amazing Smile my fish love it and you have so many more options.
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:51 am

Mutsu wrote:Ooh ok Smile I'll have to see if I can make room for a 10g tank, though it seems unlikely with the budget and amount of space I have xD ah well, maybe in a few months Smile Thanks for the info!
Have a look on ebay and aquarium classified. I manged to get a 10G tank for £1 at a car boot sale so might be worth looking there to.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mutsu on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Almost managed to nab a really nice horizon 60L for £40 but I barely missed out because I asked a question and it got bought in the mean time Sad
So with a betta and 6 neons in a 10gal+, I'll still be good to clean 1-2 times a week?

Mutsu
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:24 pm

1 WC about 30-40 a week should be fine. In a 10G 6 pygmy corys or a few cherry srimp should be fine aswell.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:26 pm

If I get ADF's I think I will hand feed them Smile
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by elliriyanna on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:08 pm

I need to know what hardy dense growing plants i could put in there ... I have anacharis this plant similar to mugwort and a peacock fern but I want something dense too. i'll post pictures of his tank soon as he's in it Smile
elliriyanna
Halfmoon
Halfmoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top