proudly awards
this site as
Recommended Reading
Please vote for it
in the community!

Vote for us!

BannerFans.com

Fish Topsites

Aquarium Rater, how does your Aquarium Website Rate?

Photobucket

Right LPH filter speed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Right LPH filter speed?

Post by ubrosso on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:53 pm

I know the consensus is to leave the aquarium with the less agitation possible for the bettas, but that aside, whats the required LPH (litres per hour) filtration speed for a betta aquarium? i've read from 5 to 15 your aquarium volume per hour (that kind of variation is no consensus for me!). The filter usually only states its maximum speed (considering no media inside or so i heard). So, if you only know your maximum filter power in LPH, lets call it X, and it has four speeds, the lowest would be X/4 and maximum X, but if taken into consideration that its calculated with no media i'ld say to use 1 level above what would be your ideal (just for security) and thats why i ask, whats IS the ideal LPH so i can set the filter to the right place. Haha.

Thanks all!
ubrosso
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Re: Right LPH filter speed?

Post by kizno1 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:26 am

I normally aim for 10X turnover a hour. But if its just for a betta then about 5X turnover will be fine IMO.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Time-Out on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:47 am

People normally recommend filtering your tank 5x an hour for any sort of fish. Then you get the perfectionists who always aim higher. 5x an hour for bettas should be fine. You could even look at a bit less. It depends on the shape of your tank, the type of filter... If there's enough room for the fish to happily live out of the flow, then go for 5x, but remember that the living space has been reduced.
Another thought, you could put something in the way of the output, to reduce the current.

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:41 am

If its just a single male betta fed on pellets, 1x will be absolutely fine as there will minimal waste.

Admin
Admin

http://betta-paradise.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:52 am

Time-Out wrote:People normally recommend filtering your tank 5x an hour for any sort of fish. Then you get the perfectionists who always aim higher. 5x an hour for bettas should be fine. You could even look at a bit less. It depends on the shape of your tank, the type of filter... If there's enough room for the fish to happily live out of the flow, then go for 5x, but remember that the living space has been reduced.
Another thought, you could put something in the way of the output, to reduce the current.
I disagree pretty much all the people ive spoke to aim for between 5-10Xturn over. Ive got a 12X turn over on my 30G and my tetra, rasbora and hatchets all seem to do fine swimming in it.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandraco aka Bronzecat on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:04 am

My 180L community has 1200 LPH turnover, so that's turning the tank over 6.6 times an hour. I wouldn't go any less in than this for this tank though.

Admin
Admin

http://betta-paradise.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kizno1 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:08 am

My 115L has 1300lph which is 11.3. If the tanks about 5G then i think anything from 5-10X turn over will be fine. I used to have 8X turn over on my betta tank and they got on fine with it.
kizno1

Back to top Go down

Post by Time-Out on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:40 am

Ooo defensive! I didn't say it was wrong. Mr Vandraco has said pretty much what I said in much less words. A sponge filter doesn't have a high turnover, yet it is enough for a single betta. Don't forget these are longfinned dudes that aren't adapted to fast currents.
I bought one of those little 17L cubic tanks with a drawer form pets at home, to put on my bedside table. I filled it, planted it, turned on the filter and it was like a washing machine. That filter was supposed to be adapted to the size of the tank. I'd rather do water changes than subject a poor little betta to that sort of turbulence.

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by ubrosso on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:15 am

I have a 3 gallon tank with a tetra micro whisper filter of 265LPH (its max speed) i keep it at the second speed, which i guess is around 132LPH, that would turn out to be ~11 times per hour BUT i have stuffed so many things inside my filter to personalize it (orginal media + sponge + siporax) that the only way the betta can be "blown" away is to stand right underneath it (and yet he can swim against), so i'll keep at that. Thanks for the answers all!
ubrosso
Plakat
Plakat

Back to top Go down

Post by Time-Out on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:22 am

If the fish is happy, that's the important thing. Make sure you don't burn out the pump through!

Time-Out
Crowntail
Crowntail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top